Thursday, January 10, 2013

It's Still T-6, and I Was So Thrilled to Hear from Dr. Dave Leber



Today, I also heard back from a fellow volunteer that I have had the honor to work with in 2011 and 2012 in the Philippines.  I can’t wait to see my ‘old’ friend next week as we journey to India.  And, yes, Dave, this is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for to share with our readers.  I hope more will follow your lead and send me some content to publish.  Thank you so very much!!

 Here is what Dave wrote to me:

“Dear Cheryl,
               
Thank you for taking the time to do all this.  Here is some information and photos you might want to include in your blog. 

                This surgical mission to India will be my 28th mission and the 6th trip to India.  Why do I do it?  It's in my blood.  There are many reasons, however, in that once you go on a mission to the 3rd world, you gain so much more in return.  First of all, these poor people, and I do not mean in the sense of lack of money, but poor in the difficult life they live with very little in the way of comforts we take for granted and lack of available medical care.   They are so appreciative of what we are able to do for them
and that makes our efforts so much more worth while.  Another good reason for going on missions is that it opens up the true cultures of these foreign countries in a way that one can never obtain on an organized tour of a foreign country.  When you take care of the sick, one gets to know more about what life is really like in the 3rd world and makes us appreciate so much more what we have in these United States of America. Other reasons are the chance to travel to places we would most likely never see for any other reason, much like my many other travels to wilderness countries in search for the fascinating birds and wild life that exists in every continent, including Antarctica.

                As part of my bio, I am a plastic surgeon, having practiced in Harrisburg for over 34 years.  In addition to cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, my main interests are in cleft lip and cleft palate repair and ear reconstruction for those born without ears or those lost to trauma.

                My hobbies and interests are in all forms of art including wood sculpture, water color painting, pastel drawings and medical illustrations that have appeared in many text books of surgery.  I enjoy playing tennis all year round, bird watching with over 3,400 species on my life list, stamp collecting, photography and spending time with my grandson, Ethan and other members of my family.

Cheryl, I hope this is the kind of stuff you might be looking for.  Look forward to being with you and Ken in India next week.

                                                                                                Dave 

   David C. Leber, MD, FACS

No comments:

Post a Comment